My daughter is in PK4 till noon, so I make her lunch at home...however 2 weeks out of the year I will be responsible for classroom snacks for 12 beautiful babies (Carmella's my only, she is my baby). Look for the snack blog in the next week.
I know this special contribution from Denise will be a good inspiration to pack healthy and easy lunches for your children, your self and your spouse. Denise thank you for sharing . Please enjoy.
school lunch for 9/16/11:
fresh organic baby spinach and organic carrot salad, organic apple slices, raw dried fruit and seed mix, organic hard boiled egg, probiotic smoothie, mini cheddar round
school lunch schedule adapted from kiwi magazine (love that magazine):
if you would like to have the google spreadsheet version, click on this link and request to have it shared.
- i always boil at least half a dozen eggs at the beginning of every week. my 8 year old likes them whole. my 4 year old likes the yolk taken out. for us, the hard boiled egg is sometimes used as a snack, a side, or a main.
- another school lunch staple (and dinner too for that matter) is chicken noodle soup. although i must confess, it's rarely homemade by me. darlene - i know you are so disappointed! it's usually homemade by whole foods. on the occasion that i do make it, the girls always request the whole foods version saying it is "so much better". they win.
- lastly - the honey crew granola, of course. my girls eat it as cereal, eat it for a snack, or eat it for breakfast on the go on those mornings that we just can't get it together in time. it's always in my purse to provide that high protein, high fiber, energy source whenever we are on the verge of a meltdown or about to embark on some kind of activity.
- itty bitty foodies - great restaurant reviews and food ideas/activities when kids are in tow.
- gwenyth paltrow's my father's daughter - i know i know. she leveraged her fame with getting a cookbook deal. maybe. but it has lots of really great, high quality, simple, family friendly recipes. i love it. speaking of gwenyth, i also love her blog, goop.
- whole foods, particularly whole foods park lane - so lame. i know. but i am here all the time. in my post-mom life i want to work here, and i bet my husband would welcome the discount! my 8 year old and i stroll through the aisles and come up with school lunch ideas together. it gives her a sense of control and contribution, and i feel i can trust almost all things there without spending too much time reading labels, etc. win win. lately, i have been trying lots of different foods from their raw foods section, like raw cacao powder. a chocolate lovers dream come true with amazing benefits. try this raw cacao and mint smoothie: 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 banana, 1T raw cacao, 4 fresh mint leaves, touch of salt and a little cold water. mmmm!
|school lunch for 9/1911:|
organic grapes, mixed nuts, bean and cheese burrito (reheated in my new favorite toaster thanks to darlene, stays warm until lunchtime), organic greek yogurt with a honey swirl, organic fruit punch for the 4 year old, organic strawberry milk for the 8 year old