Grilled Veggies

Yesterday we received a same day invitation to an early dinner at my girlfriend, Denise's home.  Love these type of invites.  Her words "I don't know what's gotten into my husband but he's grilling steaks and just asked if I have a food processor for chimichurri sauce, wanna come over?"...could not get "yes, what can I bring & what time?" out fast enough. 
The moment we were greeted, I smelled a familiar smell but could not pin point exactly what I was smelling...as I laid down the goods I brought to share (green beans + prosecco) I said "smells so good"...Denise replied "don't lie"...I giggled because that is not the response I expected.  I looked in the kitchen and thought 'ok, I see why she said 'don't lie' the grilling has not yet begun' ...the appetizer being served was little bowls of grilled veggies, avocado and a European aged white cheddar on slate with baguette rounds.  The familiar scent was the grilled veggies...yes so simple they never demand attention, they should.  Denise had cut the veggies in sticks and grilled them on an electric flat top griddle.  Squash, zucchini and onions lightly salted and nicely browned.  On many occasions I have grilled veggies for numerous parties but always cut on the bias...I loved them in a thick stick form, seemed so new to me.  My husband commented on how he loved the veggies...seemed new to him too.



Love my all-clad griddle
The Argentina themed dinner was heavenly: a perfect grilled steak, grilled corn on the cob, grilled asparagus & the chimichurri sauce was so tasty...parsley, lemon, EVOO, garlic, vinegar, red pepper flakes + love...uhmm so good. 
So today I was motivated to make grilled veggies for the week:  3 Mexican calabasita, 1 zucchini, 1 red bell pepper, 2 large onions, salt + pepper.  The newness of this grill is that it is seasoned differently, I normally add 'Herbes de Provence' which is nice but I now relize it over powers the delicate flavor of the veggies.  I will use 'Herbes de Provence' once again...soon.   For now I will enjoy a simple seasoning of salt, pepper & a splash of lime on my grilled veggies.  These veggies will be enjoyed all week.  I will take you thru a photo succession of meals in which these veggies will shine.  Buen Provecho.
Thank you my friends for a lovely Saturday night family dinner.

Comments

Popular Posts