Greens + Ham Soup

European Greens and Ham Soup

Love greens:  kale, swiss chard, collard & mustard greens.  Normally when I prepare collard and mustard greens I make them with a southern flare.  This time I wanted soup with a European flair.  As I was sauteing my ham and onions I thought about all my French cookbooks that include egg in their soup.  Egg gives soup a depth so deep with not much effort.  I adore these type of soups.  I decided this would be the flare I'd give my greens.  I used the pressure cooker however this is easily done on the stove top in a dutch over/soup pot.

Greens + Ham Soup

1 lb ham steak
1 lg. onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt + pepper to taste
3 lbs greens, finely chopped
32oz chicken stock/broth
48oz water
3 eggs, whisk
parmesean

In soup pot saute ham, upon caramelizing add onion, garlic, salt and pepper.  Saute 5 additional minutes.  Add greens mix well.  Saute 10 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes.  Add chicken stock and water.  At this point if your using a pressure cooker let it reach its peak for 3 minutes.  Turn flame off and allow steam to naturally release for 15-20 minutes.  Release pressure.  Let soup cool for 10 minutes.  Add a ladle of soup to the whisked eggs, stir...repeat this 4 times.  Add egg mixture to soup.  Stir.
Ladle soup in bowl, topped with shaved Parmesan and homemade croutons.
Makes 4 32oz containers.   Soup freezes well. 

Ezekiel Bread Croutons
Homemade Croutons
Cube up bread
Toss in EVOO with minced garlic, salt and pepper.  Toast in 400F oven till crispy, 5-6 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts