Fall Is Around The Corner

Soup...Soup...Soup is what comes to mind when Fall is in sight.

It's been raining here in Dallas for the past 3 days...I love it, I really do. This rain gave Fall a head start, which begins September 22, 2009.

"Fall your highly anticipated, we welcome you with open arms...we love you."

My sister, Josie in NM, mentioned she had made Caldo de Rez (Beef Soup) for my parents on Sunday...I could not stop thinking about the Caldo. Big chunks of cabbage, potatoes, cilantro, carrots, beef bones, chunks of beef and tasty, tasty broth. All the Mexican sides: salsa, chili macho, fresh cilantro, lime, corn tortillas. I just couldn't take it anymore so I made some yesterday. I made it just like Mom did...BUT this time I added a twist...Spicy Smoked Paprika. I honestly have never been a fan of paprika, being of Mexican decent this spice always seemed 'so bland'...well that's what I thought until I tasted 'Hot Spanish Smoked Paprika'. You have got to search high & low for this, buy it from a bulk selection if possible. The smell of this Paprika really is smoky...very smoky...if it was put side by side with chipotle powder and just the smokiness was rated the challenge would be on. The spiciness is subtle but the smokiness is bold.



Smoky Caldo de Rez


2 lbs beef chuck cut in 1-2 inch cubes
3 T Olive Oil
2 medium onions chopped
6 garlic cloves chopped
1 28oz can of whole tomatoes roughly chopped
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp comino
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
5 quarts of water
Salt & Pepper to your liking
1 small cabbage quartered at the root
3 carrots peeled, 1 inch chunks
3 corn on the cob cleaned and halved
2 Mexican calabasita or zucchini 1 inch chunks
2 handfuls of chopped fresh cilantro


In an 8-10 quart stock pot add olive oil and brown beef on medium heat for 8 minutes, add onion and garlic. Once onions have some color & are translucent add tomatoes water, coriander, comino, and paprika allow to get bubbly hot. Add water, salt & pepper. When at a small boil decrease heat to low and cook covered for 2 hours then add all the veggies and cook for 1 1/2 more hours. Veggies should be soft to touch but have their form. When complete stir in the cilantro.

Done. Serves 10. Freezes nicely.

I served this with a chipotle salsa and crusty grilled bread slathered with olive oil and rubbed with garlic.

Enjoy.

Yesterday when my husband arrived from work I served him a lovely bowl with all the trimmings and he said, "it's so nice to come home and feel like a King"...what a beautiful compliment. I do have a precious husband that I love to spoil. xxxoox

Comments

Popular Posts