Texas State VEGGIE Fair

Our local neighborhood newspaper White Rock Lake Weekly hired me to write an article for an upcoming event.  So enjoyed freelancing!  Click to see the printed version & read on for the unedited version.

Scheduled Events
“’A Texas Veggie State Fair’, all vegan…humm?” That’s exactly what I thought too. For a couple of months I have been anticipating the arrival of this event…it finally arrived.


As I walked up the hill top to Winfrey Point the familiar fair smell of fried food was floating in the air, live music was making its way and faint giggling, laughing and chatting were competing for attention.

The fried food vendors were definitely the most popular, seemed like everyone was ordering a vegan corn dog + fried pickles.  Lines were over an hour wait.  The vendors lacked commercial equipment that may have help keep up with the demand; however, the home style outdoor kitchen is what made it super attractive and personal.  By 3:30pm a few vendors had closed posting a ‘sold out’ sign.  This was the 2nd Annual Texas Veggie State Fair hosted by Dallas Vegan and the turn out according to Christina, a vegetarian chef, was “completely unexpected, we’re so happy to see veggie passion people”. 
Looks so delicious...Vegan Corndog!
The humidity was thick the sun was strong, I made my way to the indoor vendors for some air conditioned relief. To my sweet surprise a “Raw Dessert” (Famous 5 minute Blondies) cooking class was just about to begin. Chef Amber Shea, blogger and new author, http://www.almostveganchef.com/, would be conducting the class. The metal chairs were nice and cold, very comfy. I looked around and it was nice to see beautiful people of all shapes, size and color, I’m not a vegetarian (I do subscribe to the monthly magazine Vegetarian) but in my mind all vegans and vegetarians are thin…and thin I’m not, so I was happy to see an array of lovely figures...some vegetarian some not.

Shhhh class is about to begin.

Bravo! Bravo! Excellent presentation, plus the results…delicious!

I loved that the recipe was gluten free. Inspired, I wanted to challenge my skill by creating my own ‘raw dessert’. Here is my version of raw Pecan Pie.

Raw Pecan Bites


Raw Pecan Pie Bites by Honey Girl Kitchen, Darlene Rosen

Yields: 24 small bites



2 cups of pecans

1/4 cup turbanado sugar

2 t vanilla

1/8 t sea salt

1 cup pitted dates



Directions:

Combine the pecans and sugar in a food processor and pulse till coarsely ground, over pulsing will release too much oil and produce a butter paste. Add the vanilla and salt, pulse until well combined. Add 3 dates at a time, pulse and repeat with remaining dates.

Spoon the mixture evenly into 24 petite cupcake molds. Press the air out of the mixture, with a small flexible spatula or the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. These bites should be stored in the refrigerated or freezer.

Looking forward to the 3rd Annual Texas State Veggie Fair, I will return.

Comments

Popular Posts