A Holistic Healing...my story

Chia Seed Gel + Coconut Water

Chia Seeds...I Love You


I have a new love in my life.  I have been eating/drinking chia seeds since August of 2012.  I have become the girl you've read about that is not the perfect weight but is healthy.  The only time I've ever had high blood pressure was the day after I gave birth to my daughter, that lasted 1 full day.  Now on the other hand my cholesterol has always been an issue I have battled and a vitamin D deficiency (over the counter daily dosage of 200IU was recommended).  This past year my Doctor insisted I get on a low dose cholesterol medicine, my response was 'give me 3 months let me try and get it down myself'.   Three months came much too soon and trying to go vegan was not the answer for me.  The vegan phase lasted maybe 3 days.  I went back for my lab test and sure enough it had only lowered 4 points 231 to 227...Doc wrote me a prescription.  I am so naughty I did not fill it (I don't recommend this).  That was in July.  I was to return in October for labs again.  Having that prescription in hand and not filling it consciously made me aware of my issue...every minute!  I had to do something.  'Just try something' was constantly on my mind but I did not know what that something was.  I researched a natural way of lowering cholesterol...so many recommended methods.   I chose chia seeds after reading several testimony's online about how chia seeds aided in lowering cholesterol.   The suggested serving is 1 Tbsp daily.  August I started drinking a chia water every morning.  1 cup of water 1 Tbsp of chia seed...mix and drink.  I don't mind the texture or mild taste knowing what the results may be.  The Doctors office called to schedule a follow up in October, by this time I'd been drinking my daily chia water 5-7 times a week.  I went in a bit scared because I knew my Doctor would be asking me about the cholesterol medicine and such.  Sure enough that was his 1st question...I nervously giggled and said "don't fire me, I have not been taking it but I am taking my vitamin D".  Sweetly he said "I'm not gonna fire you"...I told him my fears of prescriptions that I read on the Internet  about wearing out my organs more importantly my liver...he said "I would never prescribe you something that would affect your liver...I did not get my Doctors degree on doc md."  I roared with a laugh...the air was clear.   I never mentioned I was taking chia seeds because at this point I felt like he already thinks I'm a bit crazy now he's really gonna think I'm a nut.  I had all the labs done that day...2 days later the nurse calls me with the results.  Cholesterol 161!!!!  Vitamin D in range!!!!  I hung up the phone and screamed!!!!  Screamed and laughed...why was this so funny?  I do not know but this was my reaction, I was thrilled.  Since then chia seed and I have been in love.  I still take it daily and have started making aquas frescas (fresh flavored waters) with it.   I have read and read about chia.  I'm so happy with this sacred Aztec superfood seed.  My favorite chia is the organic version, it seems to rate higher in fiber vs the conventional...this is packaging information. 

"Chia seeds is one of the richest known plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids in the world; ounce for ounce, chia provides more heart-healthy, anti inflammatory omega-3's than salmon, flaxseed or any other food.  And unlike other sources of omega-3's, chia is naturally rich in protective antioxidants that maintain the freshness and potency of its precious essential fats."  Diana Allen, MS, CNS


Chia Seed Gel

Chia Seed Gel
courtesy Diana Allen, MS, CNS

1/3 cup chia seeds
3 cups water

In a bowl, slowly add water to chia seeds while beating with a fork or a wire whisk.  Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, whisking regularly to prevent clumping.  Store chia seed gel in a tightly covered glass jar in the refrigerator for up to several weeks.  Always remove get from jar with a clean spoon to maintain purity.


Chia Seed Gel + Coconut Water
Darlene N. Rosen

1 T Chia Seed Gel
1/3 cup of coconut water
1 cup of filtered water

Stir all ingredients and enjoy!

Chia Seed Gel + Coconut Water + Mango
Darlene N. Rosen

1 T Chia Seed Gel
1/3 cup of coconut water
1/2 mango freshly pureed or 1/3 cup frozen pureed
1 cup of filtered water

Stir all ingredients and enjoy!  These aquas frescas can be made with any fruit of your choice.

Smoothies and puddings:  in a bowl or glass add 1 T chia seeds to 1 cup: yogurt, nut milks, or pureed fruit...set in fridge overnight and have a filling nutritious breakfast or snack.

ps...I do not recommend not filling a prescription nor stopping any medications.  I am simply stating my experience with chia seeds.

Comments

Popular Posts