Honey Girl Hummus

Homemade Hummus
I love homemade hummus. Yes, only homemade or fresh from a Mediterranean restaurant.  I can taste the citric acid powder and the rancid tahini in store bought.  Oops...guilty I'm a hummus snob.  You'll be one too once you compare the two.  Tahini is a puree of sesame seeds and oil.  Making tahini is so easy you'll never buy it again.  Nuts and seeds are highly sensitive to light, time (on the shelf) and heat.  When I open up a new can of tahini it smells rancid...any and all brands.  No thank you.  I make my own tahini which gives hummus a nice fresh toasty bite.  Making a variation of hummus is what I tend to do.  A craving sneaks up on me, when I decide I want hummus I want it that very minute...so I use what I have.  If I do not have sesame seeds I will use pumpkin seeds (pepitas), walnuts, pinon or cashews.  I toast them first on the stove top or in the toaster oven with a little oil and salt.   Nuts and seeds tend to absorb heat very quickly, so keep an eye on it.   Once the nuts or seeds I'm going to use are toasted I put them in the blender with some extra virgin olive oil (first cold press).  Puree.  Now add all other ingredients to blender.


A blend of love...
Honey Girl Hummus


1 lb 13 oz can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas drained or freshly made
1/4 cup of toasted tahini/pepitas/walnuts/pinon/cashews (choose what you have or what you love)
1/4 cup of liquid the garbanzo beans were in (or water)
1/4 cup of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
3 cloves of garlic
2 t ground cumin
1 lemon juiced - medium to small
salt & pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to the blender.
I prefer the result of pureeing in a blender vs a food processor.  Super smooth.


Enjoy!


Variations:  add roasted and peeled jalapenos, Serrano, green chile or you favorite pepper. My favorite is Serrano...I like it spicy!
Also, instead of garbanzo beans you can use any bean, even lentils.









Comments

Popular Posts