Ginger Tea

Feel a bit under the weather?  Maybe a cold?  Maybe the flu?  Want some quick natural relief? 

A couple years ago a dear friend of mine was going thru some personal and professional life trials.  We would talk on the phone several times a day and we'd see each other 4-5 times a week.  I did my best to support her, she's been like a sister to me.  During this time period every evening when I went over, to her home, she would have slices of fresh ginger slowly simmering in a pot of water.  We'd share a couple cups of ginger tea and I'd dry her little tears each evening.   Time passes and the good prevails.  Her life has bounced back and the sadness is only a faint memory. 

Now the ginger tea?  Unforgettable!  Fresh and spicy.  Not your normal dried tea (which I adore).  I longed for this tea.

Last winter I could not shake a cold and I thought about my friend...remembering that during a time that she would be the most vulnerable to catching and keeping a cold during such a trying period, she never once was ill.  I called her and shared my recollection...she said that a mutual friend of ours had shared how he drinks ginger tea quite often, it helps boost his immune system.  That sentence alone rung a bell...in 2006 I took 9 weeks of Indian Cooking Classes and remembered how the instructor went over all the benefits of each of the Indian spices.  From this point on when I feel super miserable, much like I did right after returning from New Mexico during Christmas, I have ginger tea.  I drank it for two days straight, each day I boiled & simmered a fresh pot, then poured it in my zojirushi thermal carafe...loved it.  I always have ginger on hand, I store it in the freezer...it's amazing how well it keeps, very fragrant and fresh.  Freezing makes it easier to cut up for recipes as well.


Ginger Tea

Homemade Ginger Tea

2 x 1 inches of ginger (wash well, no need to peel)
5 quarts water

Slice ginger into 8-10 pieces add to water.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. 
This recipe is made to my taste, you can make a strong tea by adding more ginger or less water. 

Enjoy.  Wishing you great health.

Comments

Popular Posts